TEMPORARY Virtual Hearing Links During Microsoft Teams Outage https://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/virtualhearings

Civil FAQs

For specific enforcement procedures see our How to collect page.

To request an interpreter, a party should submit the Interpreter Request/Cancellation form (SDSC Form #ADM-348) as far in advance of the hearing as possible. Find more information on the Court’s Language Access page.

Court staff cannot give legal advice. For information on what assistance court staff can and cannot provide you, visit our Legal Information page.

  • Important: If you are in danger now and need help, call 911.
  • For information on Civil Harassment restraining orders, click here. For Domestic Violence restraining orders, visit our Domestic Violence page.

Visit our page for name or gender change. Additional information is available at the California Courts Self-Help Center website.

You must make sure the defendant receives a copy of the claim you filed. This is called "service of process." Service of process has strict rules that must be followed exactly or your case may be delayed or dismissed. The plaintiff cannot complete service of process himself/herself. For ways to serve the defendant, see our Service of Process page.
For ways of serving a tenant in an Unlawful Detainer case, visit our page Landlord/Tenant. For serving documents on a Small Claims case, refer to the Small Claims page.

When San Diego implemented the statewide case management system for Civil, Small Claims and Probate, a standardized case number format was adopted. The Notice to Attorneys and Civil Case Type Legend provide detailed information.