SCSD HomeClick here for COVID-19 response information.
Court Seal, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego

Civil HomeCivil Home  
ADR (Alternatives to Trial)ADR (Alternatives to Trial)  
Civil ImagingCivil Imaging  
Civil E-FilingCivil E-Filing  
JCCP CasesJCCP Cases  
Minor's CompromiseMinor's Compromise  
Schedule Ex Parte & MotionSchedule Ex Parte & Motion  
Where to FileWhere to File  
Construction Defect CasesConstruction Defect Cases  
Harassment Restraining OrderHarassment Restraining Order  
Civil Harassment Restraining Order HearingsCivil Harassment Restraining Order Hearings  
     (NOT Domestic Violence)
Limited Civil HearingsLimited Civil Hearings  
Civil Independent Calendar HearingsCivil Independent Calendar Hearings  
Unlawful Detainer HearingsUnlawful Detainer Hearings  
Small Claims HearingsSmall Claims Hearings  
Small Claims Trial De Novo HearingsSmall Claims Trial De Novo Hearings  
     (Small Claims Appeals)
Landlord / Tenant Landlord / Tenant  
Name or Gender ChangeName or Gender Change  
Small ClaimsSmall Claims  

Hall of Justice
Superior Court of California - County of San Diego: Civil: Name Change
View a Case File Calendar Tentative Rulings Forms FAQs  Reserve a Civil Motion Date
Petition to change name or gender

How to file change of name for adult or minor

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.

How to file change of gender

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.


There will be a filing fee.  Refer to Ref #4 in the
fee schedule.

Publishing the Petition for Name Change

NOTE:  Publication is NOT required when a Petitioner seeks to change his or her name to conform to a change in gender identity.

When your hearing is set, a copy of the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120)  must be published  once a week for four consecutive weeks prior to the date of the hearing.

For a list of approved newspapers, click here.

What if only one parent is petitioning to change the name of a child?

If service is required on the non-petitioning parent and his or her address is unknown, the petitioning parent must complete and file an Application and Declaration In Support of Request to Dispense with Notice to Minor’s Parent – Name Change with the court before the hearing.

What to bring at the time of the hearing?

Bring the following to the court:

What to Do After the Hearing?

Once your petition is granted, you may obtain a certified copy of Decree of Name Change (NC-130) or Decree of Gender Change (NC-230) from the Civil Business Office for a fee. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card, driver's license, and other identification such as your passport.

  General Legal Information & Assistance Programs

  • The Legal Aid Society of San Diego offers a free Name and Gender Marker Change Clinic for individuals who want to change their name and/or gender marker. For more information, click here.

HelpSite MapUse/Privacy Policy

© 2020 Court Information Technology
Superior Court of California, County of San Diego