Domestic Violence FAQ

Once a person seeking protection files for a Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order with the court, a hearing will be scheduled. There is no way to "drop charges" before the hearing.

  • If the person seeking protection changes their mind about requesting a Restraining Order, they might consider talking to a counselor or attorney before dropping the request.
  • The case will automatically be dropped if the person seeking protection does not attend the hearing.

If the person requesting protection changes his or her mind AFTER the hearing and Orders have been made by the judge, the petitioner MUST file forms to change (modify) or drop (dismiss) the restraining order.

PLEASE NOTE: It is important to file these forms so that the other person is not charged with violating a court order.

There is no charge for a person seeking protection to file Domestic Violence Restraining Order papers at the court.

To request an interpreter, a party should submit the Interpreter Request/Cancellation form (SDSC Form #ADM-348) as far in advance of the hearing as possible. Find more information on the Court’s Language Access page.