A Summary Dissolution of Marriage and/or Registered Domestic Partnership

A "summary dissolution" is a shorter and easier way than a "regular dissolution" to end a marriage and/or a registered domestic partnership. But, it can only be used by couples who meet very specific conditions. The Judicial Council of California has written a booklet detailing a summary dissolution, including step-by-step instructions and the joint petition for dissolution requires that each party attest that they have read and understood the Summary Dissolution Information booklet (Form FL-810). This booklet and all the necessary forms can be found on the California Courts website at http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-summarydissolution.htm.

One party must submit the Judgment of Dissolution and Notice of Entry of Judgment (Family Law - Summary Dissolution) (Form #FL-825) at the time of filing of the Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (Form FL-800). The submitting party must provide two copies and two stamped envelopes, one addressed to each party. The judgment will be processed in due course. You will need to complete and file one additional local form which is the Family Law Certificate Of Assignment (SDSC Form # D-49). This form lets the court know you are filing the case at the proper location, called "venue", based on where you or the other party live.

Bring the originals and two copies of all documents to the court for filing. There is a fee to file your Petition with the court. The court accepts cash, check, Visa, Master Card or American Express. Checks should be made payable to "Clerk of the Court."

If you are unable to pay to the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify for a fee waiver. Both parties must separately complete and submit a Request to Waive Court Fees (Form # FW-001) and, with the top portion completed, an Order on Court Fee Waiver (Superior Court) (Form FW-003). Additional detailed information on requesting a fee waiver can be found under Fees FAQ and on the California Courts website at http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-feewaiver.htm.