SCSD HomeClick here for COVID-19 response information.
Court Seal, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego
Family & Children HomeFamily & Children Home  
Divorce & ParentageDivorce & Parentage  
Custody & VisitationCustody & Visitation  
Child SupportChild Support  
Domestic ViolenceDomestic Violence  
Restraining OrdersRestraining Orders  
Self Help Services/Family Law FacilitatorSelf Help Services/Family Law Facilitator  
Frequently Asked QuestionsFrequently Asked Questions  
Family Law Virtual HearingsFamily Law Virtual Hearings  
     and Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
Ex Parte HoursEx Parte Hours  
Family Law ImagingFamily Law Imaging  
Family Law E-FilingFamily Law E-Filing  
Family Support Division E-FilingFamily Support Division E-Filing  
Family Law RulesFamily Law Rules  
Legal InformationLegal Information  

Superior Court of California - County of San Diego: Family & Children: Divorce & Parentage: Instructions on How to File a Paternity Case
View Case Information Self Help Services Filing Your Case Forms FAQs
Opening a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship (Paternity) Case

These instructions will help you open your case. There are additional forms you will need to submit in order to finalize your case. The Family Law Facilitator's Office is available to assist you with preparing the paperwork.

Step 1: Filling out the paperwork

Petition to Establish Parental Relationship (JC Form # FL-200) : Fill this out completely.

Summons (JC Form # FL-210) : Fill out the first page. This lets the other party know that they are being sued and that they have 30 days to respond. Page two contains automatic restraining orders that apply to both parties during the case.

UCCJEA (JC Form # FL-105) : Fill this out completely. List where the child(ren) have lived for the last five years and if anyone else has a custody claim on them. If you are unsure of where the child(ren) live(s), you may write "unknown."

Family Law Certificate of Assignment (SDSC Form # D-49) : Fill this out completely. This lets the court know you are filing the case at the specified location because you or the other party reside within its jurisdiction.

Step 2: Making copies and filing the paperwork

Sign and date the paperwork that you filled out in Step 1 and make two copies. Bring the originals and two copies to the court for filing. There is a fee to file your Petition with the court. The court accepts cash, check, Visa, Master Card or American Express. Checks should be made payable to "Clerk of the Court." If you are unable to pay the filing fees, you may complete an Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs (JC Form # FW-001).

The case must be filed at the location specified on the paperwork. The court clerk will return the two copies after affixing the court stamp and case number. One copy is for your records; the other is for service on the Respondent.

Step 3: Serving the papers

You must serve a copy of all the papers on the other party, along with a blank Response to Petition to Establish Parental Relationship (JC Form # FL-220) and blank UCCJEA (JC Form # FL-105). The other party must be personally served by someone other than you.  The person serving the papers must be over the age of eighteen.

Step 4: Filling out the proof of service

The person who serves the paperwork on the other party needs to complete the Proof Of Service of Summons (JC Form # FL-115). Make sure the address where the other party was served and the date and time of service are complete. As with anything you file with the court, you should provide the clerk with the original and two copies.

HelpSite MapUse/Privacy Policy

© 2020 Court Information Technology
Superior Court of California, County of San Diego