SCSD HomeClick here for COVID-19 response information.
Court Seal, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego
Juvenile HomeJuvenile Home  
Minor OffenseMinor Offense  
Justice (Delinquency)Justice (Delinquency)  
When You Go to CourtWhen You Go to Court  
Court RecordsCourt Records  
Adoption ImagingAdoption Imaging  
Juvenile MarriageJuvenile Marriage  
Media PolicyMedia Policy  
Affiliated AgenciesAffiliated Agencies  
Policies, Procedures and ProtocolsPolicies, Procedures and Protocols  
So. Cal. Intercounty Transfer ProtocolSo. Cal. Intercounty Transfer Protocol  

Superior Court of California - County of San Diego: Juvenile: Juvenile Appeals
Juvenile Appeals
What is an Appeal?

An appeal is a request for review of the trial court's decision by a higher court. A party may appeal certain judgments and orders. Generally, the appeal must be based on an argument that a legal error was made by the trial court.

An appeal is not a retrial. You will not be permitted to introduce new evidence, and the appellate court will not reassess conflicting evidence.

You may not appeal on behalf of a friend, a spouse, a child, or other relative (unless you are a legally appointed guardian).

Filing a Notice of Appeal

The first step in an appeal is filing the written Notice of Appeal. This notice tells the other parties in the case and the court that you are appealing a decision of the trial court.

The Notice of Appeal may be written on pleading paper or can be made by completing the appropriate form for your type of appeal.  Below are links to the more commonly used forms:

Notice of Appeal - Juvenile (JV-800) 

Notice of Intent to File Writ Petition and Request for Record to Review Order Setting a Hearing Under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 366.26 (JV-820) 

Notice of Intent to File Writ Petition and Request for Record to Review Order Designating or Denying Specific Placement of a Dependent Child After Termination of Parental Rights (JV-822) 

The Notice of Appeal must be filed within 60 days of the judgment or order being appealed or, in matters heard by a referee or commissioner, within 60 days after the order becomes final under the Welfare and Institutions Code Section 250 and California Rules of Court, Rule 5.540.

The Notice of Appeal must be filed at the court location where your case was heard, not in the Court of Appeal. The notice must be signed by you or your attorney.

If the Notice of Appeal is submitted in letter form, it must contain the following:

  • A clear statement that you are appealing
  • The judgment or order you are appealing from
  • Whether you are appealing the entire judgment or just part of it
  • A signature by you or your attorney, with identification of who is signing.

HelpSite MapUse/Privacy Policy

© 2020 Court Information Technology
Superior Court of California, County of San Diego