SCSD HomeIn observance of the Christmas and New Year’s Day statewide holidays, the San Diego 
Superior Court will close all courtrooms and business offices on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 
and Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
Court Seal, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego
Juvenile HomeJuvenile Home  
Minor OffenseMinor Offense  
School and TruancySchool and Truancy  
When You Go to CourtWhen You Go to Court  
Juvenile Drug CourtJuvenile Drug Court  
Court RecordsCourt Records  
Juvenile MarriageJuvenile Marriage  
Media PolicyMedia Policy  
Affiliated AgenciesAffiliated Agencies  
Policies, Procedures and ProtocolsPolicies, Procedures and Protocols  
So. Cal. Intercounty Transfer ProtocolSo. Cal. Intercounty Transfer Protocol  

Superior Court of California - County of San Diego: Juvenile: Juvenile Marriage License Application

Juvenile Marriage License

Juvenile Marriage License Application

California law requires a person under 18 years of age to obtain consent from at least one parent or guardian and permission in the form of a court order. Granting permission for a minor to marry is entirely within the discretion of the court.

Applications for Permission to Marry form must be signed in the presence of the clerk of the court and must be submitted at the following address:

Central Juvenile Court
2851 Meadow Lark Drive
San Diego, CA 92123

Application for Permission for Minor(s) to Marry (JUV-066A/JUV-066B)   

Juvenile Marriage License Application Requirements

1. Valid California driver's license, California identification card, or current school identification card with a certified copy of the minor's birth certificate.

2. The minor must be a resident of San Diego County.

3. Parental consent in either of two forms:

  • Mother, father, or legal guardian may appear in person with valid photo identification.
    (NOTE: If a legal guardian is giving consent, Letters of Guardianship must be shown as proof of guardianship.)
  • A notarized letter of consent from mother, father, or legal guardian.
    Proof of guardianship must be shown to the notary and indicated on the consent letter. Notarized letters must include parent or guardian's full name, complete address, relationship to child, child's full legal name, child's date of birth, statement approving the issuance of a license for the child to marry, and the full name of the person the child is to marry. Please Note: If the name of the consenting parent does not match the parent name on the birth certificate of the minor, a second form of identification will be required showing the parent’s name as noted on the birth certificate. For example, if the mother has remarried and now uses a last name that is different from the name on the birth certificate, a second form of identification, such as a marriage license, will be required.

4. A letter verifying pre-marital counseling from a marriage counselor licensed to practice in the State of California, or from an ordained minister, priest, or rabbi.  For the purpose of the counseling letter, an ordained person is one who has an active congregation.

  • The counseling letter must be on letterhead stationery and include the following:
    • The counselor's license number, if from a marriage counselor
    • The counselor's professional recommendation
    • A statement that both the bride and groom have been counseled together for at least three (3) hours
    • A statement listing the topics covered and any areas of growth emphasized.

5. In the case of a previous marriage of either party, proof of divorce, death, or annulment is required.

  • For divorced persons, the date of the final decree must be prior to the date of the application for a marriage license.

For additional information in English and Spanish, please click here.

Juvenile Marriage License Application Fee

There is no fee for filing the Application for Permission to Marry. The County Recorder's Office collects a fee for issuing a marriage license after permission to marry is granted.

HelpSite MapUse/Privacy Policy

© 2018 Court Information Technology
Superior Court of California, County of San Diego