SCSD HomeThe Family Law Facilitator’s Office which provide self-represented litigants with assistance on their family law case will be unavailable on Friday, July 27, 2018.  The closure will allow time for annual mandatory staff training.
Court Seal, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego

Civil HomeCivil Home  
ADR (Alternatives to Trial)ADR (Alternatives to Trial)  
Civil ImagingCivil Imaging  
Civil E-FilingCivil E-Filing  
JCCP CasesJCCP Cases  
Minor's CompromiseMinor's Compromise  
Schedule Ex Parte & MotionSchedule Ex Parte & Motion  
Where to FileWhere to File  
Construction Defect CasesConstruction Defect Cases  
Harassment Restraining OrderHarassment Restraining Order  
Landlord / Tenant Landlord / Tenant  
Name or Gender ChangeName or Gender Change  
Small ClaimsSmall Claims  

Superior Court of California - County of San Diego: Civil: Name Change
View a Case File Calendar Tentative Rulings Forms FAQs
Petition to change name or gender

How to file change of name for adult or minor

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.

How to file change of gender

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.


There will be a filing fee.  Refer to Ref #4 in the
fee schedule.

Publishing the Petition for Name Change

NOTE:  Publication is NOT required when a Petitioner seeks to change his or her name to conform to a change in gender identity.

When your hearing is set, a copy of the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120)  must be published  once a week for four consecutive weeks prior to the date of the hearing.

For a list of approved newspapers, click here.

What if one parent is petitioning to change the name of a child?

An Application and Declaration In Support of Request to Dispense with Notice to Minor’s Parent – Name Change has to be filed with the court before the hearing.

What to bring at the time of the hearing?

Bring the following to the court:

What to Do After the Hearing?

Once your petition is granted, get a certified copy of Decree of Name Change (NC-130) or Decree of Gender Change (NC-230) from the court. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card, driver's license, and other identification such as your passport.  Contact the clerk at the Civil Business Office for fees and instructions.

HelpSite MapUse/Privacy Policy

© 2018 Court Information Technology
Superior Court of California, County of San Diego