Construction Defect Cases
Construction defect cases involve claims related to the construction of physical structures, including:
- Individual residences
- Residential condominiums
- Commercial buildings
- Commercial condominiums
These cases may involve any of the following:
- Associations governing any of the above structures
- Manufacturers involved in the construction of the physical structures
Pursuant to San Diego Superior Court Local Rule 2.1.3, all construction defect cases filed in San Diego County are to be filed in Central Division (Hall of Justice, 330 W. Broadway, San Diego). The department currently designated to hear construction defect cases is Department 74.
- Any pre-litigation petition brought to the court pursuant to Civil Code §6000 will be assigned a case number and assigned to a designated construction defect department in the Central Division.
- Any construction defect complaint filed after completion of the pre-litigation requirements of Civil Code §6000, et seq. will be assigned the same case number as any pre-litigation case number existing for the action.
Initial Filing of Construction Defect Cases
Initial construction defect complaints shall be electronically filed (E-Filed). San Diego Superior Court has mandatory E-Filing through One Legal, an E-Filing service provider, unless there is a court order waiving E-Filing. Contact a representative at One Legal https://www.onelegal.com/california/sandiego to establish an account.
|Viewing of Documents|
Documents electronically filed in Construction Defect prior to June 2, 2014 will be maintained in the File&Serve Xpress system and can be viewed via a File&Serve Xpress subscription or on the Public Access Terminal (PAT) located in Room 241 of the Hall of Justice (2nd floor).
Documents filed on or after June 2, 2014 can be viewed on the Court’s Register of Actions available on the Court’s website or on the Kiosks located in the Civil Business Offices.
|Case Management Orders (CMOs)|
See the Forms page for CMO templates which can be downloaded.
Plaintiffs and Defendants are to meet and confer regarding preparation of the CMO prior to the filing of a cross-complaint. The CMO shall be completed and submitted to the court for final approval.
When preparing the CMO timeline, please be aware that the court schedules the following events on Fridays:
- Status Conference
- Case Management Conference
- Pre-Mediation Readiness Conference
- Trial Readiness Conference
- Trial Call.
For the time of each event, please refer to the applicable Department Policies and Procedures.
If a hearing is set within 2 court days of the time documents are electronically filed, litigant(s) must provide hard copies of the documents to the court. Transaction ID numbers must be noted on the documents to the extent it is feasible to do so. Hard copies for Ex Parte hearings must be delivered directly to the department on or before 12 Noon the court day immediately preceding the hearing date.
For Department C-74 only: Courtesy copies of documents specified in the E-Filing Courtesy Copy Reference Guide must be provided to the court.