Court Appearance Information
To appear in court on your ticket, you must check in prior to the court session you want to attend, on or before the appearance date indicated on your ticket. Bail is not required to appear in court.
If you have a financial hardship and can show that you are unable to pay the full amount for the offenses on your traffic ticket, you may request the court to consider your ability to pay in setting the fine amount, ask for an installment plan based on your ability to pay, or ask to consider community service. You can do this by:
- Appearing in court to make this request (an appointment to appear in court may be necessary. Click here for court times and scheduling.
- Filing or mailing a written request to the Court.
If you are unable to make a scheduled court ordered fine payment due to financial hardship, you may do any of the following:
- Request a 30-day extension to pay (maximum two extensions) by phone or mail. Click here for court contact information.
- Appear at the Traffic Business Office and:
- Request a 30-day extension to pay;
- Request community service/volunteer work for up to half the total fine; and/or
- Request a payment plan, or reduction in payment amount (if above $35/month)
- Request a courtroom appearance to ask the court to consider your ability to pay. (You may need to schedule this appearance in advance). Click here for court appearance information.
- File or mail a written explanation of your financial hardship and inability to pay to the court. The court will mail you a response to that request. Any prior orders in your case requiring payment will remain in effect until the court rules on your request.
Check-in hours are:
East County Division
- Monday through Friday - one morning session, check-in between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Monday through Thursday - one afternoon session at 2:00 p.m., check-in between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- There is NO afternoon session on Fridays.
Make an appointment for the Traffic Court business office by calling (619) 456-4100 or clicking here.
No reservations are available for Criminal matters at this time.
Click Court Appearance Information Sheet (MO-042 EC) for additional court appearance information.
All MISDEMEANOR COURTROOM APPEARANCES are by appointment only and must be scheduled in advance. You may schedule a courtroom appearance in the Traffic Business Office Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Unscheduled courtroom appearances are NOT allowed.
Central Division (Kearny Mesa)
ALL COURTROOM APPEARANCES are by appointment only and must be scheduled in advance. To schedule a courtroom appearance click here or call (858) 634-1800, Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Unscheduled courtroom appearances are NOT allowed. When appearing for a scheduled courtroom appearance in Dept. B, you must arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled time and check-in with the clerk at Window A before entering the courtroom.
Cases with a warrant or that have been referred to the collection agency require a visit to the courthouse during business office hours to schedule a courtroom appearance. Unscheduled courtroom appearances are NOT allowed.
Click Court Appearance Information Sheet (MO-042 C) English/Spanish for additional court appearance information.
North County Division
- Court Check-in times:
- Monday through Thursday: 8:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8:15 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., excluding holidays
Make Reservations for an appointment with the business office or court appointments at day and evening sessions by calling (760) 201-8500 or clicking here. Night court appearances are available by appointment and on a walk-in basis 1st Thursday night of each month at 5 p.m.
Click Court Appearance Information Sheet (MO-042 NC) for additional court appearance information.
South County Division
- Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- NO afternoon session on Fridays
Make Reservations for a court appearance by clicking here. No Night Court appointments are available at this time.
Night Court for infractions only:
- Last Thursday of the month
- Check-in before 5:15 p.m.
7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri. check-in before 12:00 p.m.
Click Court Appearance Information Sheet (MO-042 SC) for additional court appearance information.
*=All times above are subject to change.
**=These are court check in times when at the counter. Please account for time that will be spent in line waiting to be checked in for court by a clerk.