|Department 66 Policies and Procedures - Honorable Joel M. Pressman|
Rev. March 29, 2013
Honorable Joel M. Pressman, Presiding
Courtroom: (619) 450-7066
Calendar: (619) 450-7304- Phone hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
1. Ex Parte. Ex Parte appearances are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8:30 a.m., by reservation only. Papers are due by 10:00 a.m. the day prior to the hearing, with the appropriate fee. To reserve an ex parte hearing, contact the I/C clerk at the number provided above.
2. Guardian Ad Litem/Publication of Summons. Petitions for appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem and applications for orders for publication of summons may be made ex parte without the necessity of an appearance. The moving papers shall be submitted for review by the court and the court may set a hearing if such hearing is deemed necessary. Guardian Ad Litem applications will not be granted ex parte unless the moving party submits a declaration showing: a) the minor is not the subject of a juvenile dependency; b) the minor is not the subject of a probate guardianship; and c) if the parents are not living together, attaching a copy of the current child custody order.
3. Law and Motion. Noticed motion hearings are by reservation only. To reserve a date contact the I/C clerk at the number provided above. Motions are set on Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Tentative rulings are normally available after 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, one day prior to the hearing.
Discovery Motions. The court makes itself available to the parties during ex parte hours to discuss discovery disputes prior to the filing of motions to compel. Although this is not required prior to filing a motion, the Court encourages such a discussion to efficiently resolve discovery impasses.
4. Case Management Conference. Case Management Conferences are heard on Fridays 8:30 a.m.
5. Trial Readiness Conference. Trial Readiness Conferences are heard on Fridays at 9:30 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court.
6. Trials. Trials are set on Fridays at 9:30 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court.
7. Telephonic Appearance. The California Rules of Court shall govern telephonic appearances.
8. Trial Requirements. The Court requires that counsel bring a Joint Trial Notebook that includes the following:
- Table of Contents;
- Joint Trial Readiness Report;
- Motions In Limine / Oppositions with an index of the motions;
- Joint Witness List with a short sentence describing the witness (i.e. “Dr. Joe Smith, an internist from Mercy Hospital”);
- Joint Exhibit List (follow grid format on attachment to the Advance Trial Review Orders);
- Trial Briefs;
- Joint Statement of the Case (if not in Joint Trial Readiness Report);
- Proposed Voir Dire questions counsel want the Court to ask;
- Jury Instructions – in sequential order with a post-it note indicating who objects to the instruction;
- Special Verdict Form – either an agreed upon form or each side’s proposed form. The form should follow CACI as closely as possible and include all cause of actions and all parties. It should be complete and on pleading paper without the firm name.
Note on Exhibits: Eliminate duplicative exhibits. Any exhibit that is duplicative will be identified throughout the trial as the first number used. Exhibits should be individually marked with the brown exhibit tags and multi-paged exhibits must be paginated. If you are submitting photographs, each photograph should be on a separate page.
Please bring the following to the first day of actual trial (not Trial Call):
- Two sets of exhibits binders, original copied set is the official set to be used by the witnesses. The second set is for the court to use;
- Copies of Deposition Transcripts that will be used during trial;
- Three copies of the Joint Witness List – if different than the one in the joint trial notebook;
- Three copies of the Joint Exhibit List – if different than the one in the joint trial notebook
- Three copies of the index of motions in limine.
- Email the clerk in Word format a copy of the exhibit list, witness list and the index of the motions in limine. You will be provided with the email address at the trial call.
Dept. 66 - Advance Trial Review Order
Dept. 66 - Trial Requirements