Honorable Timothy B. Taylor, Presiding
Courtroom: (619) 450-7072
Calendar: (619) 450-7006- Phone hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
1. Ex Parte.Ex Parte appearances are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8:30 a.m., by reservation only. Papers are due by noon the day prior to the hearing, with the appropriate fee. To reserve an ex parte hearing, contact the calendar clerk at the number provided above. Comply with CRC 3.1200 et seq.
2. Guardian Ad Litem/Publication of Summons. Petitions for appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem and applications for orders for publication of summons may be made ex parte without the necessity of an appearance. The moving papers must be submitted for review by the court and the court may set a hearing if such hearing is deemed necessary. Guardian Ad Litem applications will not be granted ex parte unless the moving party complies with Local Rule 2.4.6.
3. Law and Motion. Noticed motion hearings are by reservation only. To reserve a date contact the calendar clerk at the number provided above. Motions are set on Fridays at 1:30 p.m. Tentative rulings are posted during the days preceding the hearing as they are completed, not later than 4:30 pm on the afternoon before the hearing.
Discovery Motions.As allowed by CCP Section 2016.080, the court makes itself available to the parties during ex parte hours to discuss discovery disputes prior to the filing of motions to compel. Voluntary ex parte noticed conferences are encouraged in order to reach a resolution of discovery problems as an alternative to formal motions, which remain available at any time. However, typically only discrete, narrow issues can be resolved on the ex parte calendar. Broader discovery disputes must be the subject of a noticed motion.
4. Case Management Conference. Case Management Conferences are heard on Fridays between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
5. Trial Readiness Conference.Trial Readiness Conferences are heard on Fridays at 9:00 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court. Trial continuances are disfavored, and only available under CRC 3.1332.
6. Trials. Trial calls are set on Fridays at 8:30 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court. Trials typically start the Monday after the trial call, depending on the court's calendar.
7. Telephonic Appearance. The California Rules of Court govern telephonic appearances.
8. Trial Requirements. The Court requires counsel to bring to the Friday Trial Call a Joint Trial Notebook comprised of the following:
- Table of contents.
- Copy of Joint Trial Readiness Report, and operative pleadings.
- Copies of In Limine motions and oppositions, in order (motion followed by opposition).
- Copy of Joint Witness List with a short sentence describing the witness ( i.e., Dr. Steven Smith, an orthopedic surgeon from County Hospital).
- Copy of Joint Exhibit List. The list must be carefully reviewed to insure the description of the Exhibit matches the Exhibit.
- Copies of Trial Briefs.
- Joint Statement of the Case, in neutral form suitable to be read to prospective jurors. (Competing version not acceptable.)
- Voir Dire questions counsel requests Court to ask (if any).
- Jury Instructions - packet of agreed-upon instructions and packet of not agreed-upon instructions with post-it notes indicating who opposes the instruction.
- Special Verdict Form(s) - either agreed upon form(s) or each side's proposed Special Verdict Form(s). If the parties fail to make a genuine effort to limit disputes on the form of the special verdict, the court will use a general verdict.
In addition, the following are due the day trial commences:
- Two exhibit binders (original for the witness, premarked with Court Exhibit tags, and one copy for the Court). Each exhibit must be marked with a discrete number, and shall be correctly identified. By way of example, it is impermissible to label "Dr. Jones' file" collectively as Exhibit 25. Please review the last two pages of the ATRO (which the court enters at the TRC, and which will be provided to the parties for signing at that time).
- Three copies of the Joint Witness List.
- Three copies of the Joint Exhibit List.
- Copies of Deposition Transcripts that will be used during trial. These are to be lodged by placing them on the shelf in front of the bench.