Honorable Timothy B. Taylor, Presiding
Courtroom: (619) 450-7072
Calendar: (619) 450-7006- Phone hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
1. Ex Parte. Ex Parte appearances are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8:30 a.m., by reservation only. Papers are due by noon the day prior to the hearing, with the appropriate fee. To reserve an ex parte hearing, contact the I/C clerk at the number provided above.
2. Guardian Ad Litem/Publication of Summons. Petitions for appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem and applications for orders for publication of summons may be made ex parte without the necessity of an appearance. The moving papers shall be submitted for review by the court and the court may set a hearing if such hearing is deemed necessary. Guardian Ad Litem applications will not be granted ex parte unless the moving party submits a declaration showing: a) the minor is not the subject of a juvenile dependency; b) the minor is not the subject of a probate guardianship; and c) if the parents are not living together, attaching a copy of the current child custody order.
3. Law and Motion. Noticed motion hearings are by reservation only. To reserve a date contact the I/C clerk at the number provided above. Motions are set on Fridays at 1:30 p.m. Tentative rulings are normally available after 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, one day prior to the hearing.
Discovery Motions. The court makes itself available to the parties during ex parte hours to discuss discovery disputes prior to the filing of motions to compel.
4. Case Management Conference. Case Management Conferences are heard on Fridays between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
5. Trial Readiness Conference. Trial Readiness Conferences are heard on Fridays at 9:00 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court.
6. Trials. Trials are set on Fridays at 8:30 a.m. unless otherwise designated by the court.
7. Telephonic Appearance. The California Rules of Court shall govern telephonic appearances.
8. Trial Requirements. The Court requires counsel to bring to the Friday Trial Call a Joint Trial Notebook comprised of the following:
- Table of contents.
- Copy of Joint Trial Readiness Report.
- Copies of In Limine motions and oppositions, in order (motion followed by opposition).
- Copy of Joint Witness List with a short sentence describing the witness ( i.e., Dr. Steven Smith, an orthopedic surgeon from County Hospital).
- Copy of Joint Exhibit List. The list shall be carefully reviewed to insure the description of the Exhibit matches the Exhibit.
- Copies of Trial Briefs.
- Joint Statement of the Case, in neutral form suitable to be read to prospective jurors. (Competing version not acceptable.)
- Voir Dire questions counsel requests Court to ask (if any).
- Jury Instructions - packet of agreed-upon instructions and packet of not agreed-upon instructions with post-it notes indicating who opposes the instruction.
- Special Verdict Form(s) - either agreed upon form(s) or each side's proposed Special Verdict Form(s).
In addition, the following are due the day trial commences:
- Two exhibit binders (original for the witness, premarked with Court Exhibit tags, and one copy for the Court). Each exhibit shall be marked with a discrete number, and shall be correctly identified. By way of example, it is impermissible to label "Dr. Jones' file" collectively as Exhibit 25.
- Three copies of the Joint Witness List.
- Three copies of the Joint Exhibit List.
- Copies of Deposition Transcripts that will be used during trial.